I will be on my colleague Gail Rubin's radio show A Good Goodbye October 30, at 4 Mountain, 6 Eastern. Listen in here. If you cannot listen in at that time, a recording will be available afterwards at the same link.
October 30 is the 14th annual Create a Great Funeral Day; the interview is in honor of that holiday. I registered the day well over a decade ago to remind people to consider the benefits of creating your own funeral or memorial service, regardless of age of state of health.
Why would you want to make those plans? Just a few reasons:
- You relieve those you leave behind of many decisions during their time of grief.
- You give the bereaved the emotional satisfaction of knowing they are carrying out your wishes.
- You may open up new areas of discussion with your family.
- You are able to create an event that truly reflects your life.
- Reviewing your life for the purpose of creating the service allows you to evaluate how you want to use your future.
- And this gentle reminder of your mortality has an effect on your decisions about today.